Saturday, January 8, 2011

it's really cold if you live outside...

i often ponder what it must be like to sleep at night on the streets. i complain that my bed is not big enough or has a lump or a sag, but i don't wrap myself up at night with a bag. i don't lay my head on "yesterday's news" or wake with every breeze that scrapes my cold cheeks. for those who do, i think of you.

sweeper sound, snow on the ground.
tucked in tight for a winter slumber night.
little pink nose seen from under the cover, pull in your toes one after another.
the crisp air outside tightly pushed away, we are lucky we are warm and can live this way.
those out in the cold keep your head held high.
cross your arms and protect your soul, and know that you're loved by someone you don't know.

1 comment:

Wall family said...

I was just thinking about this last night when I came home from work and it was -10. I am very thankful that we have a warm house to live in and am sad for those who dont.